Thursday, January 12, 2017

Choosing a Color Scheme

Hi everyone!

I'm back again for a quick post about choosing a color scheme. As a person who just loves color, I find it hard to narrow myself down to just a few colors. Here's a few things I like to do when choosing a color scheme for a collection.

1.  Pinterest
Like I said in my previous post, Pinterest is a great place to start to find colors that look good together. Literally all you have to do is type in "color scheme," and voila! Several hundred color schemes to get you started.

2.  Find colors in your inspiration source
This is probably how I choose most of my colors. For example, the Queen of Hearts is obviously going to be red. Then there's Alice, whose dress was originally yellow but was change to blue by Walt Disney. I decided to go with blue for my collection, because it created a nice contrast to the red. In my Anne of Green Gables-inspired collection, I immediately have green as an obvious color choice. I have one Doctor Who-inspired design, so royal blue was my first choice of color.

3.  Listen to music/audiobooks
Sounds trigger my mind to think certain colors or shades. Think about the dainty classical dances featured in the 2005 Pride and Prejudice soundtrack. Would you use neon colors or lots of highly contrasting colors? Probably not. What about the adventurous soundtrack of Lord of the Rings? Would you use pastels or even bright colors?

Well, that's all for today. Leave me some tips about how you choose your color schemes in the comments below!

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment