Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Finding a Source of Inspiration


Hi everyone!

Finding inspiration is always the first step when designing a fabric collection. Like I said previously, my inspiration often comes from what I read. Why? Well, a story contains everything from people to places, and their descriptions are wildly fun to pull from. Let's take Lewis Carroll's classic Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and brainstorm some possibilities. 

The first thing I like to do is list characters. We have the curious protagonist Alice, the Mad Hatter, the March O'Hare, the White Rabbit, the Cheshire Cat, the Queen of Hearts, Bill the Lizard, and the twins Tweedledee and Tweedledum--as well as several others. When designing my collection, I also listed characters from the sequel Through the Looking Glass. I took my list and created this design by just writing their names and adding some doodles of them.

Wonderlandians

The characters themselves can also inspire designs. The Mad Hatter, for example, wears a crazy hat, but also, his name implies that he creates crazy hats. I took that idea to create this design:

The Mad Hat Shop

Also, Tweedledee and Tweedledum inspired this simple design:

Tweedle Dee and Dum

The Queen of Hearts inspired this design:

Ruler of the Heart

Events in the story can also inspire designs. The most famous event in Alice in Wonderland is the Mad Tea Party. Food in general plays an important role in the story, so I decided to include a "Drink Me" vial and some "Eat Me" biscuits in this design:

Oddi-teas

Another well-known event is when the cards paint white roses red. That event inspired this design:

Painting the Roses Red (on pink)

Carroll's rich storytelling and poetry provides tons of inspiration. I still have some design ideas I just haven't gotten around to drawing from Alice in Wonderland. You can find all these designs and more at my Spoonflower shop.

That's all for now.

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment