Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Tools For Designing Fabric

Hi everyone!

Today, I want to talk about some of the tools I use when I design fabric.

1.  Pinterest
First tool I always use is Pinterest. Pinterest is an awesome place to find possible color schemes and art styles you may want to use in your design. It's typically where I start, and I make a board for each design collection idea I have. So I have an Anne of Green Gables board and a Peter Pan board to save color schemes, quotes, and artwork that I can refer back to.

2.  Pencil and Paper
Drawing by hand is the best place to start. Personally, I feel like I have more control drawing first with paper and pencil and then tracing it later digitally.

3.  SketchbookPro App
My personal favorite is the SketchbookPro App for my iPad. I do all of my script patterns on SketchbookPro because it's easy to rotate my iPad. It's easy to upload designs on the go from the app. Also, the SketchbookPro app includes the Copic marker colors, which have turned out nicely on my designs. Cons to the SketchbookPro App is that it has only preset sizings and minimum layering. Also, it takes up a big chunk of my iPad storage.

4.  Adobe Photoshop
Perhaps the mother of all tools is Adobe Photoshop. It has a pen tool that makes it easy to trace over my drawings and a grid so it's easier to make even stripes and repeating patterns.

What about you? What are some of your favorite design tools? Leave me a comment below.

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment