Wednesday, March 14, 2018

In a Bit of a Flunk

As you may have realized, I'm not good about posting and keeping up with the blog. And that's probably how it's going to remain. I may pop into your inbox at least twice a month, because frankly, that's about all I can do. 

I've missed reading children's literature, and I've missed writing it, too. I sat down recently and picked up a manuscript that I had worked on last year. It centers around an eccentric librarian and a curious children's library. It's a dash of Hogwarts, a bit of The Phantom Tollbooth, and a smidgeon of Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure what to make of it. It was an idea that came out of my dream of becoming a librarian and my hope to inspire readers to keep at it. Naturally, I've had every intention of finishing it, but because of a fateful computer crash, I've had to start from scratch. It's a painful process, even worse than editing. It is the constant pulling at my brain to recreate an entire book. In my everyday reading, I'm so caught up in the academic side of books that when I sit down to write, I feel distant from my audience. My narration is cold, and my humor is lackluster. I feel as if I am relearning how to speak. 

Needless to say, I know my art is suffering as well. My hands are out of practice, and nothing comes out the way I want it to. That is why I haven't been working nearly so much on design. I want to create. I want to design. I want to express myself again.

That's all for now. I'm hoping to get some more Charlie and the Chocolate Factory designs headed your way. Thank you all for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment